The start of a new year is a great time to start a new tradition the whole family can enjoy. Here are 6 ideas for fun and family-friendly New Year’s Day activities.
1) Make a special breakfast. What can be better on the first morning of the year than a special breakfast? Some easy ideas include pancakes, French toast, and muffins. You can also explore traditional New Year’s Day foods from around the world, like soba, tamales, or lentils.
2) Set some goals for the new year. As a family, spend some time discussing what you hope to accomplish for the year ahead, or what you’re looking forward to. These ideas don’t have to be very elaborate or detailed, but it’s fun to see what everyone has in mind. You can create a checklist with drawings and photos to help all members of the family feel included.
3) Plan for giving in the coming year. Making a plan to help others can show your child that it’s important to have compassion for others all year long, not necessarily just around the holidays. When setting new year goals, discuss ways you can show kindness to those less fortunate throughout the year. You might be surprised at the generous ideas your children will share.
4) Send greetings to family and friends. New Year’s Day is an ideal time to stay connected with faraway friends and family. Whether it’s through video chat, a phone call, a text, or an email, getting the whole family involved will brighten your loved one’s day.
5) Spend time outdoors. No matter where you live, there is likely an outdoor activity the whole family can enjoy on the first day of the year. Whether it’s a walk around the block or sledding in the snow, it’s a great time to form some memories while enjoying the fresh air.
6) Start a new tradition. The new year is all about fresh starts, so why not try something new as a family on New Year’s Day? You might make a special dinner, have a family movie night, create a family scrapbook, or something else that you decide on together. This is a great way to create lasting family memories.